Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Mommy Milestone

Well, actually it's a milestone for Lincoln, Mommy and Daddy...

Friday, Lincoln was doing so well with his weaning and keeping his saturation levels up that all of his doctors agreed that he was ready to be held! After waiting 29 days, we were able to hold our son for the first time. We were not absolutely sure how well he would tolerate being held, so I waited to get him up until later in the afternoon so that Dan would be getting off of work and arriving soon. He is still on the ventilator and several IV medications so it took some coordination to get him out of bed and into my arms. Once he was there is was wonderful! I ended up holding Lincoln for a full 2 hours! I instantly had tears in my eyes. My baby was finally mine. He was very alert for most of his time with me and only fell asleep for about 30 minutes. Holding Lincoln gave me a sense of completeness that I have been lacking since giving birth to him. We were apart for far too long!

Mommy and Lincoln
together at last

Linc tolerated being held very well and was able to be handed off to Dan when he arrived at the hospital. Since Dan has had to go back to work these past three weeks, this was his first real bonding moment with his son. Lincoln fell asleep soon after being in Daddy's arms.

Family Photo :)

Since Lincoln did so well being held, Dan and I will be able to hold him every day that his numbers are looking good. I was able to hold him again today. (For three hours this time!) I cannot wait until tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Dan and Dorothy: We know that holding Linc for the first time was the most wonderful feeling in the world. Congrats to all of you! You do have a "Rockstar." We will continue our prayers for all of you. He's absolutely beautiful and we're so proud of him.

    Love,
    Paul and Jenell

    ReplyDelete