Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Mommy Milestone 2.0!

Yesterday the doctors wrote for Lincoln's oxygen flow to be turned down to 3 liters. They wanted to give him 24 hours to adjust and be sure he was breathing comfortably on the lower flow before they allowed him to try oral feeding. He did great with the flow, so today he tried feeding the natural way with Mommy for the first time! (for Linc and me!) I was a bit nervous, and the setting was less than ideal being in a NICU room with tubes and monitors (not exactly relaxing) but we made due. Lincoln took a minute to adjust to not being swaddled but he caught on quickly to breastfeeding. (I'd like to think I wasn't half bad either at my part) So all in all, it was a successful first try! Lincoln did not choke once and seemed content. The staff is very willing to respect my wishes to exclusively breastfeeding for at least a few days before trying bottle feeding with Lincoln. He will still be getting his regular feedings through his tube, but practicing oral feeding will be only with me. Obviously, I am back at work so I will not be there for every feeding, but we can have a few sessions every evening. Eventually, as Lincoln is more willing to feed more often, he will need to take bottles at night since I cannot be at the hospital around the clock. I just wanted to get somewhat of an intro to breastfeeding so that we can work on it more once Lincoln comes home.

Sorry, no pictures for this Mommy Milestone! But it was just as special!

No comments:

Post a Comment