Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Second Cold/Flu Season

The cold/flu/RSV season is here and I just wanted to post a quick update on our plans to help keep Lincoln healthy this season.

While I'm happy to say that Lincoln is stronger and healthier than he was last year, I do not think he is quite ready to be "thrown to the wolves" when it come to respiratory illnesses. I won't necessarily be isolating this year, but I still would like to take precautions to help minimize Lincoln's exposure to colds and flu viruses.

Remember, Linc has only been off of oxygen for 6 months and still requires a daily inhaled steroid, as well as albuterol treatments, to manage his airway when he is NOT ill. Any illness will make it that much more difficult for Lincoln to breath and oxygenate his body. A side effect of taking his steroid is that he is even more susceptible to infection! (Linc has already fought two colds this season! Which he rocked!) Also, illness tends to leave Linc with a decreased appetite. This only adds to the difficulty of getting Linc to gain weight. When Linc doesn't grow, he doesn't develop.

For these reasons, his doctors and I have agreed that Linc will benefit from getting Synagis shots again this season. Lincoln is still at high risk for having complications if he contracts RSV. Synagis is an antibody shot that would help Linc fight the virus if he is infected. Lincoln got his first shot at the end of October, and will get one every month through March.

Thankfully, we haven't had any insurance approval problems this far since this medicine is extremely expensive (around $1500-3000 per shot!). But this just goes to show that even the insurance company views Lincoln as high risk for respiratory viruses. (Many CDH families are currently fighting ins denials for second seasons.) Our entire family has also gotten the flu vaccine this year, which I believe is a great idea for everyone to help stop the spread of the flu virus.

We will also be washing hands in our house frequently (when arriving home from a public place, playing outside, etc.) and using hand sanitizer a lot while out. I also have a can of Lysol in the car to use on shopping carts, when I absolutely have to bring Linc along to the store.

For the most part, I would like to try to keep our life as close to normal as possible, without unnecessarily exposing Lincoln to ill people. If you are wanting to visit Lincoln this season, please let me know if you have been sick or around others who are so that I can make an informed decision about visitation. As of now, we plan to attend family functions this holiday season, where we did not last year. But I am fully prepared to leave early if I feel Lincoln is as risk for getting sick. I do not plan to take Linc out to public museum and parks, though, and just generally plan to keep public spaces limited.

I do planning to finally return to working full time sometime during this season, though. This means that Linc will need to start going to daycare. I have mixed feelings about leaving Lincoln, but we are both ready I think, and our finances tell me it's time! I am so thankful, though, that Linc's Grandma (Dan's Mom) is able to watch him and he won't have to attend public daycare. I think I would just be ridden with guilt and terrified to send him off to a group of strange, sniffling kids! I know Lincoln is in the best of care while at Grandma's, which will really help the transition. One of Linc's cousins does attend preschool and is also at Grandma's, however. So, I am especially thankful that Linc was approved for Synagis again this season.

Please do not take these precautions personally. These measures only attempt to reduce spreading germs that are found everywhere! I anticipate this to be the last season of extra precautions. Every one was so kind about obliging my wishes last season to help to keep Linc healthy. Thank you! I appreciate your efforts and support. Thank you in advance for this season, too!

2 comments:

  1. Lincoln is in such a better place this year. It's good to be careful and this is actually a reminder for everyone to be more careful about the spreading of germs. Good luck this winter season, but Lincoln is so much stronger now. And such a cutie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete