Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Someone's Not Hungry

Lincoln's feedings have been up and down lately. It all started the day his meds changed, Feb 17th, and we've been on the roller coaster ever since. Between the medicine change, teething, weaning Os, and now a cold, Lincoln's feedings have been anywhere from 530ml to 720 ml (which is the goal). Because of this, I have been weighing him in just his diaper every morning and calling SLCH neonatology to report every 2-3 days. From the 20th to this past weekend, Lincoln had lost about half a pound. Good news is that over the weekend he was able to bring his weight up by about 3 oz. So at least that is promising that he was able to gain a little.

Neonatology wants me to offer a 5th feeding at night if Lincoln's volumes are under 600ml for the day, which means I will be waking him to eat. I would rather do this, though, than go up on his formula concentration and risk dehydration or kidney issues.

I'm really having trouble determining what is causing Lincoln to not eat. He has been retching sometimes by just a few drops of formula on his lips, and today he had 2 bites of veggie puree at lunch and puked in the highchair (totally not like him). Other times he just sucks down the bottle, especially when he is sleepy. I just keep coming back to the conclusion that there must be several things happening and that's why I see him fluctuate so much. Hopefully, things turn around and his feedings get easier. Most of all I hope I'm not missing something, but that's why I'm staying in such close contact with the hospital.

On a side note - Lincoln is on 0.2 liters and breathing fine. I can see that he felt this last wean though. His sats are good, but when he is playing he gets tired more easily and his color is not as rosey as before. He's not turning blue, but I can see a difference. So I may need to wait longer than normal before the next wean, to make sure he is comfortable. He will let me know when he is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment